History of the abattoir:
The Maltese Civil Abattoir established in Albert Town Marsa has been functioning since 1897. Parts of this abattoir had been demolished and reconstructed again in 1974, other parts of the building have been recognised as archaeological industrial and hence they have been restored. Today this part of the abattoir serves as a back up for the slaughtering. In 1985 and 1987 this abattoir was upgraded again and in the year 1987 the Maltese civil abattoir was approved by the European Union.
Services offered by the abattoir today:
The abattoir has two market halls; these are kept at a temperature of 12°C so as chilled meat will not incur any damage. These market halls are equipped with overhead rails and stainless steel tables for the sectioning.
This complex is also equipped with a blast freezer; meat for preservation will reach the desired temperature in the shortest time possible. Apart from the blast freezer there is also a storage freezer, which can store up to 300 tonnes of, packed meat or 150 tonnes of carcass. Sometimes this freezer is also used, by the private sector when importing meat.